Thursday, November 12, 2009

About the Book Festival (Part One)


I enjoyed the book festival very much. What in particular? It was a gorgeous, sunny day and all seemed right with the world. With the sun shining brightly it felt like Spring, not Fall. I couldn't wait to get my books set up on my half of my table, and circulate among the authors and illustrators before the crowd came scampering in.

Of course, I couldn't wait to see Steven Kellogg. When I did see him coming up the stairs, I had to hold myself back from charging up to him and introducing myself. I decided to be "mature" regardless of my propeller hat. I waited until he settled in at his table with a hot coffee cup at arm's reach and then I raced over to his table

Steven was busy the rest of the morning and afternoon signing books and adding charming graphics before actually signing each book. He was too busy for me to tell exactly how much his books meant to me as an elementary teacher and later as a parent of two girls. We loved his books, especially his illustrations. Besides being totally enchanted by The Island of the Skog, Can I Keep Him? was another big hit with me. The kids and I really liked the repetition in the story and the amazing illustrations. Years ago, when I tutored children at the RIT's Learning Development Center, I used a number of Steven's books.
When I left to do a writing workshop in the One Busy Bookworm Place, I also left my buddy, Chet Fery, behind to man the counter. He did an excellent job of spreading the word about "Silly" Sottile, and he sold a good number of books in my absence. Chet is outstanding at making friends and networking with others. I didn't worry about the "store" at all while I was gone making new friends on the first floor at MCC. It's wonderful to have friends like Chet that you can count on! I am a very blessed person. This shall be continued tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Joe,
    I really enjoyed listening to you read your poetry on the radio last week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing that thought with me. I actually never heard the radio broadcast because I was at a writing meeting. My wife, Marilyn, told me that I did a good job. Then at the meeting my phone went off. A friend called me to tell me she had just heard it on the radio while driving her car. Small world....And, of course, I enjoyed your poetry Cynthia when you read for "Just Poets."

    ReplyDelete