Saturday, April 3, 2010

“Excuse me, I am not fibbing!”

Sunset over the ocean
I am back from a vacation on Oak Island, North Carolina, with my wife, Marilyn.  We had a great time, even though it was colder than usual. We took lots of sunset shots. The one at the top was probably our best photo of all of them.  Once you step out of your comfort zone (as in your recliner or rocker), all sorts of wonderful and strange things can happen. Like what?

I attended a book signing where an author, Marianne Smith, shared some of her thoughts on “coming of age” during the Hitler Regime…At the local golf course I met up with a good number of mud turtles and three or four alligators that were about four feet in length. My golf balls seem to be attracted to ponds and sand traps. I visit them frequently. There were no warnings posted about alligators being loose on the course. Of course, the alligators were only interested in sunning themselves, not tasting a northerner…On the way home, we saw what looked like a collapsed tan box on the middle of the highway. As we came closer and closer to this brown miniature pyramid, we suddenly realized that it was a large deer sitting in the sun. I thought it was dead. It wasn’t moving. I couldn’t look at its face. As soon as we passed it, Marilyn screamed, “It’s alive!” I guess it was on Prozac because I never saw it move in my rearview mirror…I played 15 games of golf on four different courses…I ate more fish than usual. I think that I have developed a few scales on my legs…We made new friends, Phyllis and George, who live fulltime across from the beach house we rented. They became our tour guides for Oak Island and beyond. They taught us about photography, golf, and friendship…While we were down there, we had a snowstorm.  I have photos of the snowstorm… “Excuse me, I am not fibbing!” 
Photos can be seen here: http://www.consideration.org/sottile/photos/2010mar/last-seen.html

3 comments: