1. Poetry can be about any topic—from bugs to friendships, from happy times to sad times.
2. Poetry doesn’t have to rhyme, but look for repetition of words and certain word patterns.
3. Poetry creates pictures in our heads with as few words as possible.
4. Poetry is lean and you have to read in between the lines.
5. Poets use tools to construct their poems such as repetition, alliteration, personification, metaphor, meter, similes, onomatopoeia, and more.
6. When life is happy or sad, poetry can help you share your feelings.
7. If you can write your name, you can write a poem.