Thursday, October 29, 2009

A Box of Books (Poem & More)


Forgive me, but I am going to set this poem up for you. Two years ago, I was waiting for my special delivery books to arrive for the Rochester Children's Book Festival held early in November every year. I couldn't wait to open the box and bring the self-published poems to the festival the next day. Lori Aman (painter/ cartoonist/artist/friend) had drawn wonderful sketches for each poem. At best, previous readers had compared PICTURE POETRY ON PARADE! to the work of Shel Silverstein. We hoped they thought the same for WAITING TO SEE THE PRINCIPAL AND OTHER POEMS.

I was going nuts waiting because there was a chance they wouldn't come, and I would have no new book. So to curb my insanity I took out a yellow legal pad and a pencil, and I started to write about my ordeal of waiting. I purposely made it long because I remember a very long poem in Marlo Thomas' FREE TO BE YOU AND ME about "Housework" that I thought was delightfully long and boring, just like housework. And I used the "and" numerous times in the following poem to drag it out in what I  hope is a pleasant way. Some writers might even say I used that monster word "a lot" of times.

My books did come, and I signed and sold 40 of them at the book festival the next day, but you probably already guessed that. Here's the poem...


A Box of Books


~ Joe Sottile

A box of books will arrive today.
The air is cold and crisp.
The skies are sunny and clear.
But it’s below 50 degrees.
I rake and rake because…

A box of books will arrive today
and I must keep busy-busy so that
I don’t spend every second dwelling
on the contents of that box
that the UPS truck will bring.

A box of books will arrive today
with a feeling of Christmas tucked inside
and gifts galore from floor to ceiling,
but this box contains the same present
again and again, 25 in all.

A box of books will arrive today
and I can’t wait to rip open the box
and run my fingers over each one.
I just hope the truck isn’t late
and day doesn’t turn into night.

A box of books will arrive today
if I am patient and steadfast.
And then I'll be ready for the book festival
at the local community college
with 48 illustrators and authors.

A box of books will arrive today,
and there will be more than 400 books to browse
at the College Center, including mine,
if only it arrives on time.
I am patiently waiting, patiently waiting.

A box of books will arrive today,
which will be my golden key
to the Rochester Children’s Book Festival
and all of the amazing hands-on events.
I want my picture with Clifford's Big Red Dog.

A box of books will arrive today.
It is getting kind of late.
The kid inside of me is worried.
The sun Is sinking into the horizon.
Where is that Big Brown Truck?

A box of books will arrive today,
but I am in the bathroom getting stomach medicine
instead of creating stacks of colorful leaves.
What is that I hear rumbling up the driveway?
To the window I run! To window I run!

A box of books has arrived today!
“Hurrah!”
“Hurrah!”
“Hurrah!”
“Thank God! Thank God!"

I will get my books.
I will hug this man.
I will thank him for his speedy delivery.
Now I have a new book for my readers!
A new book! A new book! Hurrah!

No comments:

Post a Comment