Saturday, September 4, 2010

Jacquie McTaggart: Dynamic Speaker, Writer, Teacher, and Friend




Jacquie is all of the above and more! In my book of “Best People” she is simply a wonderful lady. She could also be called a “humorist” which she labeled me when awarding her gold star of the month at…


Yes, she has a tremendous sense of humor, and she is a gifted writer and speaker. I will let her tell you why this former First Grade Teacher of forty-one years spends so much time speaking and writing. What follows is a partial list of the places and states that she visits to speak, copied from her website:

Jacquie's Itinerary

I'm often asked why I spend so much time speaking and writing, and my answer is always the same. I want to make a difference. And besides that, I love what I do. I get to meet new people (some in person and some online), see new places, taste new foods, and learn new things. And that, my friends, is what I believe retirement should be — making a difference and doing what you enjoy. I plan to ride this merry-go-round for a few more years, and perhaps one day I'll look out in the audience and see you. I hope so.

Following is a partial list of my scheduled speaking appearances. If you live near one of these locations and would like more information, just hit the Contact link and tell me how I can help. And if you attend one of these functions, please seek me out and introduce yourself. I'd love to meet you face-to-face.
  • Fennimore, Wisconsin: CESA #3 - EDUConference 2010. "The Write Way." 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.; July 28-29, 2010.
  • Peosta, Iowa: Seton Catholic School Staff Development. Will meet in Shannon Hall, located in the basement of St. John the Baptist Catholic Church; 10 a.m. - 12 noon on August 16, 2010.
  • Rapid City, South Dakota: Ramkota Hotel and Conference Center. International Reading Association state conference. October 14-16, 2010.
  • Hershey, Pennsylvania: Hershey Conference Center. KSRA conference. October 24-27, 2010.
  • Oelwein, Iowa: Public Library. Northeast Iowa Reading Council. "The Write Way." November 10, 2010. 5 p.m. - 7 p.m.
  • Little Rock, Arkansas: Arkansas Reading Association State Conference. Little Rock Convention Center and Peabody Hotel. November 18-19, 2010.
  • Springfield, Illinois: International Reading Association conference. March 17-19, 2011.
  • Saskatoon, Canada: Saskatoon Reading Conference 2011. "Building Bridges Through Literacy" at Saskatoon Travelodge Hotel. April 7-8, 2011.
  • Sugar Grove, Illinois: NIU Summer Literary Conference. June 21, 2011.
As for being a writer and person, this is copied from her website which is at http://consideratio.powweb.com/mctaggart/...

My name is Jacquie McTaggart. I have one husband, two sons, six grandkids, and 1500 former students. I'd love to brag about the whole tribe and tell you how great each of them are, but you might find that a tad boring. So...I'll simply say they are the best and let it go at that.

I live with my husband, Carroll, in Independence, Iowa. He is retired; I am not. Well, not in the truest sense of the word. I did accept an early-retirement package from the Independence School District in 2001 — following a 42-year teaching career. I did not, however, forsake my quest to help kids become the best that they can be. Fortunately, my husband supports my passion, and teachers throughout the country help me implement it.

My first book, From the Teacher's Desk, was released in December 2003. In April 2004 I was a featured speaker at North Dakota's International Reading Association state conference, and in April 2009 I returned to ND for my 50th IRA speaking assignment. And I pick up new ideas at every conference. Teachers are always willing to share, and I'm always eager to listen. It's a win-win combination.

My most recent book, If They Don't Learn the Way You Teach, Teach the Way They Learn, was released in August 2009. The book includes all of the materials, lists, methods, and practices that I talk about in the eight different presentations I give at IRA conferences, reading/writing workshops, library conferences, and teacher in-service training. You can see chapter reviews by clicking on the books at this site's homepage. Hint: From the Teacher's Desk is a treasure trove for parents, whereas If They Don't Learn the Way You Teach, Teach the Way They Learn is primarily for teachers.

I update the material at the Teacher's Desk on the first day of every month. Teachers throughout the country tell me what is working for them and what is not, and I have the honor of passing it on to you. I invite you to join our "For the Love of Kids" family. Sign up for the free newsletter, and if at any time you have a question or suggestion, just use the Contact link and shoot me an email. I'd love to hear from you.

As for being my friend, I am thankful that Jacquie and I can share laughs and inspiration online, since she lives in Iowa, and I live in New York. She is my BIF, Best Internet Friend, and an inspiration to many.

You won’t be disappointed with her website or her books.



No comments:

Post a Comment