Sunday, June 27, 2010

Earthquake! And the Earth Moved, and the Heart Moved!

On June 23, around 1:00 P. M. I was sitting in my recliner and I thought the windows in my house popped up about three inches, and I said to myself, "I must be going crazy!" Then I heard a large noise rumble by like a flock of turkeys landing on my roof. So, I raced to the nearby window, and I saw nothing unusual. Then I raced to the living room, and I saw a delivery truck outside. And I said to myself, "It couldn't have been that truck, but I better get the delivery."

The delivery man jumped out of the truck and said to me, "I just heard on the radio we had a earthquake. Did you feel anything?"

I said, "Yes, I did." And I told him what I saw and heard.

Okay, the earthquake was in Ottawa, Canada, more than 112 miles away, but we did feel some tremors in Rochester.

That same evening my grandson, Ricky, graduated from Gates Chili High School. It was a heartfelt moment. As a young youth, he struggled with liver disease for a number of years, and then when he was really ill, he received a liver transplant. Before and after his transplant, he kept his grades up and he didn't lose focus as to how important his education is. After the transplant procedure, it was never easy sailing. The family had 33 visits to Cincinnati Hospital the first year post-operation. There are less visits now, and getting a good educations is still important to him. So, we are very proud that he graduated. I caught his "I've-really-done-it-smile" on the big screen at Rochester Institute of Technology...


It was a heart moving moment!


2 comments:

  1. Congratulations to your grandson. You must be so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the drawing of the house it combines humor and the seriousness of an earthquake perfectly!

    ReplyDelete