Monday, August 9, 2010

Beating the Odds




Don't we all like to beat the odds like winning the lottery, even if it's only a few bucks on a scratch off lottery ticket? The following poem is about beating the odds on an more important matter. It was written by a high school student several months back, and it became the Monthly Poetry Winner. I am very fortunate that I do get some wonderful poems written by kids of all ages sent to me each month for my contest. Enjoy the poem...


Beating the Odds

By Anayia Grant

Beautiful bird flying down
a waterfall
Sees his prey on
a rock.
The prey spots him and tries
to run.
But the bird is faster,
he swoops in,
catches prey.
          
            Prey
                Is
                  Gone...
Like my ambitions.
Lost
like my dreams.
Faded
like the preys scent...
Yet the prey fights,
fights for his life.
Wiggles and wiggles until he
escapes.
While he descends to the bushes
the bird tries to
catch him.
The prey is not
having it.
He fights and wins.
                  
                  Prey
                       Is
                         Alive...
Like my heart.
Believing I can still be something.
Knowing that i am something,
doing everything i can
So I can beat the odds.
Survive through the negative.
Prosper through the positive.
Be all I can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment