Tuesday, August 24, 2010

To Blog Or Not To Blog




If your blog isn’t increasing much in readership and traffic, then to blog or not to blog on becomes a nagging question. In other words, is it really worth the time and energy to do so? Certainly authors want to create an expanding audience for their blogs and books. But how does one do that?

The early advice I read on this topic was, “Just write what you want to write on a regular basis, and your audience with grow.” And that’s exactly what I have been doing, but I don’t think that I have been very effective.

So, I read “50 Ways To Optimize Your Blog” by Jeff Bullas. Among other things, he says “Blogging is a journey and as technology develops there will be more ways to optimize your blog. You will also find other keys to keep the blog pumping and energized as you mix with other bloggers both online and offline and hear their stories and hints.”

And he offers 50 suggestions to increase your blog readership and traffic. We’ll take this Optimization Journey in baby steps. Here are the first twi things that a blogger might consider sharing or doing:

1. Industry News – what’s happening this week, this month?
2. Industry Trends – where is the industry going, what are the emerging hot segments?

I have created two specific Googles that help me track down news. One searches for “Children’s Poetry Contests” and the other “Children’s New Poetry Publishers.” Both of them help to keep me informed on those two important topics. You may consider making your own search that fits your writing needs.

I always look forward to my monthly installment of Children’s Book Insider. It’s very informative—a must-read for all children writers.

I am a member of JacketFlap profiles more than 200,000 authors, illustrators, publishers and other creators of books for Children and Young Adults. It’s a great way to network.

I am a member of The Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators is for novices, authors and illustrators interested in writing and illustrating books for children. It’s an international organization hosting important conferences and publications. At another time I will write about the local Rochester organization, RACWI.

All of the above help to inform me about what’s going on in children’s poetry, including industry trends. So, I am doing some things right!

Of course, I can always do more research, and blog more.
What do you do to keep informed about the wonderful world of writing?  






2 comments:

  1. I write mostly for myself - so increasing traffic is not a major concern. Though, to be honest, I do check to see how many folks stop by my main blog. The numbers dropped off when I became less argumentative. Ruined by my Franciscan tendencies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same way! I just like to know that I have a few readers out there in cyberspace. Thanks for sharing, Lee.

    ReplyDelete