Sunday, August 1, 2010

NPR’s Gregory Orr


I discovered to my delight the following quote in the poetry quote section of YourDailyPoem.com, which is run by poet Jayne Jaudon Ferrer. It’s a great site, rich in the poetry experience. You have to give the poetry that she selects a poetry try—that is, poeTRY. That’s where I found what NPR’s Gregory Orr has to say about reading poetry. What he says is a big reason why I love poetry so much…

Whenever I read a poem that moves me, I know I'm not alone in the world. I feel a connection to the person who wrote it, knowing that he or she has gone through something similar to what I've experienced, or felt something like what I have felt. And their poem gives me hope and courage, because I know that they survived, that their life force was strong enough to turn experience into words and shape it into meaning and then bring it toward me to share. The gift of their poem enters deeply into me and helps me live and believe in living. ~Gregory Orr, from "The Making of Poems," broadcast on NPR's All Things Considered, 2/20/06

No comments:

Post a Comment